Here is Mondays look at transparency-related news items, the weeks congressional committee hearings, transparency-related bills introduced in Congress, and transparency-related events.
- OMB Watch and POGO looked at the congressional hearings held last week on the FOIA exemptions granted to the Securities and Exchange Commission by the new financial regulation law. (OMB Watch) (POGO)
- Cell phone carriers are asking the Federal Elections Commission to allow people to to make campaign donations via text message. (Politico)
- Ahead of expected Republican gains this November, GOP staffers are in demand for lobbying jobs. (Roll Call)($)
- The ethics trials of Reps. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) and Maxine Waters (D-CA) could go on past the 111th Congress. (Roll Call)($)
- Eliza Newlin Carney looked at Rep. John Boehner’s (R-OH) fundraising activities and ties to lobbyists. (National Journal)($)
Relevant committee hearings scheduled for 9/20-9/24:
- Examining the Filibuster: Legislative Proposals to Change Senate Procedures, Senate Committee on Rules and Administration, Wednesday, 9/22, 10:00 am, 301-Russell.
Relevant bills introduced:
- H.R. 6145 – A bill to require Members of Congress to disclose delinquent tax liability, require an ethics inquiry, and garnish the wages of a Member with Federal tax liability; to the Committee on House Administration, and in addition to the Committee on Rules, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
Transparency events scheduled for 9/20-9/24: