Here is Tuesday’s look at transparency-related news items, the weeks congressional committee hearings, transparency-related bills introduced in Congress, and transparency-related events.
- At least 72 congressional aides traded shares of companies that their bosses help oversee. (Wall Street Journal)($)
- Representative Baird is pushing for a legislative fix to insider trading on the Hill. (Politico)($)
- Bloomberg will launch a for-pay government information service. (New York Times)
- Karl Rove argues that the Obama Administration is ‘hypocritical’ on campaign finance disclosure. (ABC News)
- Wall Street’s campaign cash flow has shifted dramatically in favor of Republican candidates. (Politico)($)
- Health care companies that backed the reform bill are seeking to repair their rift with Republicans. (The Hill)
- The Chamber of Commerce says none of its campaign donations come from foreign sources. (Politico)($)
- The practice of “web scraping” highlights the hazards of making more government information available online. (Wall Street Journal)($)
Relevant committee hearings scheduled for 10/12 10/15:
Relevant bills introduced:
Transparency events scheduled for 10/12 10/15:
- FEDTALKS 2010 Conference, 10/12, 9:00am – 6:30pm, Sidney Harman Hall, 610 F Street NW.
- Obama’s Management Agenda, Government Executive, 10/13, 7:30am – 9:30am, National Press Club, 529 14th Street NW, 13th Floor Ballroom.
- Policy Perspectives 2010, Cato Institute, 10/13, 10:30am 2:00pm, The Ritz Carlton Dallas, 2121 McKinney Avenue, Dallas TX.
- World Rule: Accountability, Legitimacy, and the Design of Global Governance, New America Foundation, 10/13, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Arizona State University – Washington Center, 1834 Connecticut Avenue NW.
- Policy Perspectives 2010, Cato Institute, 10/14, 10:30am – 2:00pm, The Four Seasons Houston, 1300 Lamar Street, Houston TX.
- James Madison Rules America: The Constitutional Origins of Congressional Partisanship, Cato Institute, 10/14, 12:00pm, 1000 Massachusetts Avenue NW, F.A. Hayek Auditorium.
- Strengthening the Rule of Law: 20 Years of Partnership – ABA 20th Anniversary Gala, American Bar Association, 10/14, 7:30pm, Mayflower Renaissance Hotel, 1127 Connecticut Avenue NW.